favorite
favorite
hide
unhide
flag

Posted

print

Holmes & Edwards inlaid Silver - $139 (Lincoln)

Holmes & Edwards inlaid Silver 1 thumbnailHolmes & Edwards inlaid Silver 2 thumbnailHolmes & Edwards inlaid Silver 3 thumbnailHolmes & Edwards inlaid Silver 4 thumbnailHolmes & Edwards inlaid Silver 5 thumbnailHolmes & Edwards inlaid Silver 6 thumbnailHolmes & Edwards inlaid Silver 7 thumbnailHolmes & Edwards inlaid Silver 8 thumbnailHolmes & Edwards inlaid Silver 9 thumbnailHolmes & Edwards inlaid Silver 10 thumbnailHolmes & Edwards inlaid Silver 11 thumbnail
7920 McBride Ave near 7920 McBride Ave

google map

condition: excellent
make / manufacturer: Holmes & Edwards
model name / number: Lovely Lady
size / dimensions: 5 pc pl setting for 12 + 19 pcs

more ads by this user

Holmes & Edwards "Lovely Lady" Inlaid Silver Offered is a beautiful 5 piece place setting for 12 PLUS 19 extra pieces (79 total) PLUS chest. The design and weight of the pieces substantiates their quality. The knives have stainless steel blades and all 79 pieces polish up brilliantly.

Certified Inlaid [silver] ("IS") on each piece.

Basic service for 12:
12 Dinner knifes
12 Dinner forks
12 Salad forks
12 Soup spoons
24 Teaspoons

Plus 7 additional service pieces:
1 Sugar shell
1 Butter knife
1 Gravy ladle
1 Large salad serving fork
1 Large salad serving spoon
2 Large serving spoons

Interesting Fact:
The Holmes & Edwards Silver Co was founded in 1882 succeeding to Rogers & Brittin. The initial business was producing low priced plated flatware using its own blanks or simply plating blanks of other manufacturers. The qualitative leap in Holmes & Edwards production occurred with the acquisition of the patents obtained by William A. Warner. The technique allowed inlaying blocks of sterling silver at the wear points on the back of spoons and forks prior to plating them. Warner went to work for Holmes & Edwards and his patents (December 9, 1884 and March 2, 1886) brought to the firm a gold medal at the Columbian Exposition in 1893 and secured a prominent place in silverplate industry. The Holmes & Edwards plant was taken over in 1898 by the International Silver Company, who continued to operate in Bridgeport until 1931 when it moved to Meriden. In 1956 the trademark "INLAID SILVER" was changed to "HOLMES & EDWARDS DEEPSILVER" and in 1960 to INTERNATIONAL DEEPSILVER". Silver inlaid production was discontinued in 1972 and later marketed by Wallace International Silversmiths Inc.

NOTE: The chest is structurally sound and fully lined with tarnish resistant felt. This set & chest was introduced in 1952 and although the flatware is pristine, the chest exterior varnish does show some wear.

post id: 7756921619

posted:

best of [?]

loading
reading
writing
saving
searching